Saturday, October 17, 2009

Book Review


So I saw on another blog that you (yes, you) can be a Thomas Nelson Book Review Blogger. You agree to review a book and they send you the book for free to read and then review. I signed up and here we are....
Kabul24 by Henry O. Arnold and Ben Pearson is the true story of a group of 8 Christian humanitarians that worked for an organization called ShelterNOW that were unjustly kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan pre-9/11 and were in prison on 9/11 and after. They spent 105 days in different Afghanistan prisons but never lost their faith in God or their hope of being rescued.
I really enjoyed this book. It was suspenseful and inspiring and moved along at a decent pace. It was heartbreaking but hopeful throughout. I loved seeing God's hand over the situation and how He orchestrated certain outcomes in His perfect timing. To read about the faith of these people that were living in squalor (the authors might have spent a little too much time describing the toilet situation) away from their families was thought provoking and challenging to my own faith. It was interesting to read more about the Afghani culture and to get a better understanding of their viewpoints. To read about the atmosphere in Afghanistan on 9/11 and after from the inside of a Taliban prison was a different perspective than I had read before.
Kabul24 is not a book I would typically read. I am more a fiction type of girl and maybe that is why I would have liked to know more about the people (besides Georg who seems to be the main "character") that were kidnapped...their backgrounds or how they came to work for ShelterNOW. I wouldn't run out and tell everyone to read this book but enjoyed it all the same. I would give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: